Today is National Earth Day! This is such an incredible place that we get to call home, but our beautiful planet comes with it’s own challenges – which is why we all need to do our part in protecting our big blue marble. Here at Hillcrest we are committed to sustainability through our recycling program, our bee adoption program, and many other initiatives to try to reduce our global footprint.
SUSTAINABILITY PROGRAM AT HILLCREST
Hillcrest takes pride in its growing sustainability program and understands its responsibility in regard to future generations. We are proud to share that in 2017, Hillcrest received a BOMA Best Gold Certification (2017-2020). BOMA BEST ®.
- Hillcrest provides numerous garbage disposal throughout the property. Interior containers are comprised of three bins for the disposal of paper, recycling, and garbage.
- Bicycle racks are located at Entrances 1, 3, & 5.
- Car Charging located outside Entrance 6
- Our waste container program consists of three compactors where we capture glass, cans, bottles and plastic. Additional we separate organic and cardboard collection. In 2016, we implemented a tray return system in the food court. All of the aforementioned programs have resulted in a diversion rate of 86% (as of March 31, 2017) equating to the saving of:
- 550 trees
- 730,000 litres of water
- 112,000 kwh of energy saved
- 35 metric tons of organics diverted from a landfill
ROOFTOP HONEY BEES
Hillcrest’s rooftop is proud to be a happy home to our honey bees. We successfully installed two hives with 5000 bees on our rooftop in the summer of 2017. Thanks to the wonderful lush gardens of Richmond Hill residents, our bee population thrived and swelled to close to 70,000.
Hillcrest prides itself on playing an active role in the community and contributing to the sustainability efforts of our region. We’re opening our hives soon and look forward to having the bees return to our rooftop this summer.
Thank you Richmond Hill residents for your contribution to this important initiative!
EARTH DAY DIY CRAFTS
Learn how to make a variety of Earth Day DIYs perfect for decorating the house and a great way to celebrate with your family.
Craft Ideas: Visit Here
Remember to share your creations with us on Instagram by tagging @shop_hillcrest!